[Arm-dev] Work in progress ARM v7 port

Wed Feb 18 11:12:26 UTC 2015
Gordan Bobic <gordan at redsleeve.org>

On 2015-02-17 21:44, Jim Perrin wrote:
> On 02/17/2015 02:51 PM, Gordan Bobic wrote:
>
>> Have you heard of RedSleeve? We've had an EL6 build for
>> armv5tel for years now. All the patches that were required are on
>> the wiki.
>

> I think this misses the point of doing the build as a CentOS community
> initiative. I'm actually quite happy to see Howard's post here, as I'm
> doing a bit of prep to begin a similar build for aarch64 based
> hardware.

The important point is that until now there seems to have been no
public CentOS community initiative on the ARM port.

If it helps things move along, do free to grab a copy of the RSEL7
alpha packages for bootstrapping purposes.

>> We have an elpha build of EL7 for armv5tel, bootstrapped via F18,
>> if you would like to take it for a spin, but we haven't touched
>> the branding yet so the release packages aren't available but you
>> should be able to presuade rpm to build a chroot without it using
>> --nodeps.
>

> Ideally, this should stay a CentOS focused community build. This
> doesn't
> prevent or preclude RedSleeve or anyone else from doing what they're
> doing. Collaboration is certainly welcome.

Except that thus far there has been talk of different people doing
this yet nobody has provided any packages that others can use to
help resolve the actual difficult problems (such as packages that
require special intervention and patches to build).

In the interest of moving from intangibles to tangibles and
avoiding any further duplication of any more effort, here is
a link to the preliminary CentOS 7 rebuild for armv5tel:

http://ftp.redsleeve.org/pub/el7/

Credit for this EL7 armv5tel build goes to jacco at redsleeve.org

If you are planing to use it, if you could please grab it from
a mirror rather than the primary site that would be appreciated.

Unless you are working on an armv5tel build, I suspect the
thing most of interest is likely to be the patches which are
included. On the whole, EL7 required much fewer patches to
packages than EL6 did.

Gordan