[Arm-dev] enough packages for a @core install ?

Johnny Hughes johnny at centos.org
Wed Jun 10 15:18:24 UTC 2015

On 06/10/2015 10:01 AM, Gordan Bobic wrote:

>>> cc35359,
>>> Running dracut manually did the trick. I am able to use CentOS7 stock
>>> kernel on my Cubietruck3.
>>>
>>> Gordan,
>>> I am using the kernel that is available in the CentOS Repo
>>> vmlinuz-4.0.0-1.el7.armv7hl
>>>
>>> Ok, so the next task
>>> I created a disk image using dd and installed @core and kernel. This
>>> works on the Cubietruck3.
>>
>> Do you mind sharing how you created the disk image and kernel .. did you
>> write it to nand or sd card.
>>
>> I have a cubietruck and have installed Fedora20 .. I have no idea how to
>> do anything else with it, but I would like to learn how to take either a
>> chroot'ed area or a mounted SD Card and create a bootable image for that.
>>
>> If I can get something decent working, we'll be showing it at Red Hat
>> Summit in a couple of weeks at the CentOS room.
>
> I can't help you with a Cubietruck specifically as I don't own one, but
> if there is an existing dd-and-go bootable image somewhere that you can
> point me at, I could cook you up a RedSleeve EL7 (or EL6 if you prefer)
> image that you could test. :)

Well, I understand everything that was done using yum and --installroot
previously in this thread .. what I don't understand is how this thing
actually boots and how to create that.  In Fedora20, /boot/ is empty, so
I am lost :)

What I would like to be able to do, if possible, is figure out make the
root above into an image that I could install into the nand, etc.  I
would also be fine to put it on an sdcard as well.  But knowing how to
actually create all this stuff would be very nice to know :)

It seems that Mandar has all the knowledge I need .. is there a good
blog post somewhere that details actually creating the bootable images,
etc?  Or would you post detailed commands like the one you did for the
creation of the root, etc.

I created a sparc version beta of CentOS-4 and I know how to use UEFI on
the armv8 stuff .. it's just these armv7 boards that are throwing me for
a loop.  But hopefully once I see some examples I can figure this stuff out.

Thanks,
Johnny Hughes