[Arm-dev] Intro, and platforms

Jim Perrin jperrin at centos.org
Tue Apr 5 13:03:29 UTC 2016

On 04/04/2016 04:44 PM, Lamar Owen wrote:
> Hello.  I am Lamar Owen, and I'm just beginning to dive into arm. I've
> developing a radio-frequency-interference (RFI) sniffer device using
> both the cheap RTL-SDR dongles as well as the Ettus Research USRP (older
> USRP1).  I have several different arm SBC's to develop on, including
> some original RasPi model A's as well as a BeagleBone Black and a very
> new ODroid C2.  I'm most excited about the ODroid C2, being a quad-core
> 2GHZ 64-bit processor and 2GB of RAM. Currently the C2 runs a very early
> Ubuntu 16.04, but I would love to pop C7 on the little beast.
>
> Is there specific information I can get from the Ubuntu install that
> would be useful for C7 purposes?

There are two blocking issues with the C2 right now. The first being
boot requirements. Currently the aarch64 build for c7 requires uefi, so
it won't work out of the box on that board.

The second problem is that the hardkernel folks traditionally haven't
been the greatest about upstreaming support for their boards into the
mainline kernel. The end result is that you're stuck running their kernel.

In theory you could create an arm64/aarch64 'userspace' build similar to
what Fabian has done on the 32bit side, but I've not done any legwork
around that. Is that something you'd have an inclination (and the free
time) to help with?

--
Jim Perrin