[Arm-dev] Intro, and platforms

Lamar Owen lowen at pari.edu
Tue Apr 5 17:34:16 UTC 2016

On 04/05/2016 10:04 AM, Jim Perrin wrote:
> I haven't tried, so I'm honestly not sure. You might be able to take the
> disk-image we put out for developers and copy its contents over the
> ubuntu image (you'd want to maintain the ubuntu contents of
> /lib/firmware and /lib/modules as well as the other kernel bits).
I'm assuming that this is
http://mirror.centos.org/altarch/7.2.1603/isos/aarch64/CentOS-aarch64.img.xz
; is that correct?
> ...If you can get it working, that would be fantastic.
> Ubuntu seems happy to do lots of one-off support like this, where I just
> don't have the cycles or patience. I personally don't think their model
> is sustainable or proper long-term, but opinions and whatnot.

I think it's more that the manufacturers are choosing to support a
particular Ubuntu or Debian, and their blobs for hardware support seem
to be more 'accepted' in that ecosystem.  But that's just my opinion.
It may be that the supplied hardkernel kernel will work ok with a CentOS
userland; and I may try the 32-bit userland on the hardkernel kernel as
well.

For what its worth, there is a recent patchset on the arm-kernel list
supporting the C2 (and other Amlogic S905-based boards)  in 4.6
mainline. [1]  So it may be that the 4.6 ARM64 kernel can be used as is;
we'll see.

I see I have a bit to learn, but that's ok.  That's part of the fun.
I'll report back with what I find in a few days or a week or so.

[1] https://www.spinics.net/lists/arm-kernel/msg492563.html