[Arm-dev] Intro, and platforms

Jim Perrin jperrin at centos.org
Tue Apr 5 14:04:24 UTC 2016

On 04/05/2016 08:25 AM, Lamar Owen wrote:

> Thanks for the explanation; this matches what I had kindof figured (but
> I had hoped I was mistaken).
>
> Yes, I have the inclination and I have some time to work on this; what
> sort of tools will I need?  I have the UART cable for serial console,
> and I'm currently using only MicroSD to boot.

I haven't tried, so I'm honestly not sure. You might be able to take the
disk-image we put out for developers and copy its contents over the
ubuntu image (you'd want to maintain the ubuntu contents of
/lib/firmware and /lib/modules as well as the other kernel bits).

> I will say that while my employer is willing to pay me to get the little
> box running for the RFI sniffer (GNUradio required), and while I would
> vastly prefer C7 on it, C7 isn't a hard requirement for the sniffer
> project.  It would make it easier for me, and I am the one in charge of
> the project here, since I can then do any dev work on my laptop and just
> build on the C2.  With using Ubuntu it is a bit more difficult for me.
> I would think that this would be a desireable board to support, though,
> but I of course reserve the right to be wrong....

If you can get it working, that would be fantastic.
Ubuntu seems happy to do lots of one-off support like this, where I just
don't have the cycles or patience. I personally don't think their model
is sustainable or proper long-term, but opinions and whatnot.

--
Jim Perrin