[Arm-dev] RPi 3, CentOS 7 install problem

Fabian Arrotin arrfab at centos.org
Mon Jul 4 08:33:38 UTC 2016

On 02/07/16 14:10, Steve Berg wrote:
> Trying to get CentOS-Userland-7-armv7hl-Minimal-1603-RaspberryPi3.img
> installed to a SanDisk 64G SD card for a Raspberry Pi3.
>
> The dd goes well, the Pi will boot with no problems.  I run "touch
> /.rootfs-repartition" and then a reboot.
>
> It seems to do the repartition but I get a kernel panic at the next
> reboot.  On the console I see:
> ---[ end Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on
> unknown-block(179,3)
>
> Any tips on how to get the SD card repartitioned to use the whole space
> after install?

We had several people reporting that issue that seems to appear if you
have a microSD card that is > 32Gb .
I'm not able to reproduce it as I don't have SD cards that are as big as
that, but it seems an issue with the rootfs-resize tool : see
https://github.com/ctyler/rootfs-resize/issues/2
If that's confirmed, we probably have to stop promoting that tool and
even remove it if that's unmaintained and unfixable.

gpg key: 56BEC54E | twitter: @arrfab