[Arm-dev] Gigabyte MP30-AR0

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Sat Mar 12 18:50:47 UTC 2016

On Sat, Mar 12, 2016 at 12:37:30PM +0000, Michael Howard wrote:
> I can't get the network KVM (via BMC) to accept anything.

I found that you have to plug a separate network cable into the BMC
network port.  I don't have the manual right now, but I believe it is
called "f" in the manual -- it's the port above the two USB
connectors.  The BMC acquires its own IP address from DHCP, so you
also need to determine that from your DHCP server or by sniffing it.

Once I did that I was able to use the freeipmi tools in another Fedora
machine to control the Gigabyte board.  The user/password is
admin/password.  At least: remote serial console, power state, power
on/off, and many board sensors work.  It appears to be a fairly
complete IPMI implementation, but I didn't yet try to see if I can
change the boot device.  The remote serial console is echoed on the
real serial console, ie. injecting keypresses via IPMI also echoes
them in the physical serial console I have connected, which is a long
way of saying that there is only one serial port, not two.

I wasn't able to access the VGA display remotely.  I'm not sure if
that is even possible, nor if RHEL/CentOS actually displays anything
on VGA (I don't have the physical VGA connected either).

There is also a web management interface available on the same BMC
network port (just point a web server at the same DHCP-acquired
address), but I didn't explore it in any detail.

Rich.