[Arm-dev] To: Conversations around CentOS on ARM hardware <arm-dev at centos.org>

Wed Jul 26 09:10:44 UTC 2017
Johnny Hughes <johnny at centos.org>

> The OP has this working.  He wants aarch64 which is not working yet, it
> seems according to the aarch64 maintainer.

Our aarch64 distro is built to install on machines that support
uefi/grub2.  It is not really designed to run on uboot machines.  People
have gotten it working on uboot setups, but each machine is unique to
install and maintain that way.  With 4 or less GB of installed RAM, it
is not worth the effort (IMHO) to try to make the aarch64 version run.

He also wants LDXE for the
> GUI.  This is not built into the Minimal image.  You have to add it.
> Somehow.

LXDE is not built by Fedora in EPEL, so it has never been built at all
for CentOS by the CentOS team (that I know of).  There is xfce (as I
said before), but I am not sure how well even that works.  Basically,
CentOS for ARM32 is not really designed to run in Workstation, or even
GUI, mode.  It is basically a CLI implementation for server type
services .. although we strive to get as many packages, both from the
CentOS-7 repo and EPEL 7 repo, as possible to build.