[Arm-dev] Proposal regarding aarch64 images

Mon Jul 31 16:41:44 UTC 2017
Jon Nettleton <jon at solid-run.com>

On Mon, Jul 31, 2017 at 4:45 PM, Jim Perrin <jperrin at centos.org> wrote:

> On 07/30/2017 11:01 PM, Jon Nettleton wrote:
>> Now that SolidRun is ramping up our Armada 8040 line I have had more
>> initiative to start testing various distros.  There is an active
>> effort to bring full UEFI support to the 8040 platforms however this
>> is still a WIP.  In the meantime I was looking into u-boot's efi
>> loader and currently there is major hurdle with using this boot method
>> on the CentOS images...the /boot partition is formatted as xfs.
>
> I'm kind of excited about this board, so I'm interested in helping to
> move this forward.

Great! looking forward to working with you.  The MacchiatoBin board is a great
community board however I think The ClearFog line we release with the 8040
will really be exciting.
https://www.solid-run.com/2017/06/28/solidrun-unveils-first-arm-based-com-express-type-7-module/

>> Of course it would be easy enough to spin a new image with /boot
>> formatted as ext4.  Is there any reason not to make  the default
>> images use this configuration?  This would obviously be one less
>> hurdle for using CentOS aarch64 on more platforms.
>
> While I don't have much love for uboot support here, there isn't a real
> reason for using xfs for /boot here beyond "it's the installer default".
> When I bake the next image, I'll see about changing /boot to ext4.

I understand the push to move AARCH64 to support
SBSA, however there are still lots of ARMv8 boards that will only
every support u-boot.  And conversely there are only a few
distros that are fully supporting EFI booting on ARM.  Especially
for our developer boards having the flexibility to use either is a
huge win.

Thanks for looking into changing this.  I will be looking forward
to testing the next image.

-Jon