[Arm-dev] arm_x64 - Re: Cubieboard5 performance

Uli Middelberg uli at middelberg.de
Sun Aug 5 19:16:21 UTC 2018

> On 5. Aug 2018, at 17:28, Robert Moskowitz <rgm at htt-consult.com> wrote:
>

> And another question I have on the arm_64 stuff:
>
> Can I move the uboot mSD card and sata drive from one board to another?  This is one of the important development things I like with the 32bit.  I can develop build on my desk with a test board, then move it all into production in my rack systems.

As long as the firmware resides on (removable) eMMC or mSD, your approach will work. If the firmware resides on internal memory like SPI flash or soldered eMMC storages things become a little bit more complicated. In this case you need to tweak the boot procedure in order to recognise and probe various boot options, e.g. first try to boot from mSD, then from USB, then from SATA, then from network, … Usually you will find the rootfs UUID hard wired in to some of the u-boot variables. This is no matter of 32bit or 64bit, I have both flavours on both architectures.

So far ODROID devices don’t make use of internal storage (hence they are ‘unbrickable’), so they will probably fit to your needs.

B.t.w. have you considered to facilitate Docker for your development?

Cheers
Uli