[Arm-dev] Issues with the 4.9.x kernel and pvrusb2 driver

Pablo Sebastián Greco pablo at fliagreco.com.ar
Sun Feb 4 18:07:27 UTC 2018

El 4/2/18 a las 14:28, Chris Szilagyi escribió:

> [SNIP]
>

>>> Feb  3 13:11:48 bananapi kernel: pvrusb2: Unknown symbol
>>> __stack_chk_guard (err 0)
>>> Feb  3 13:11:48 bananapi kernel: pvrusb2: Unknown symbol
>>> __stack_chk_fail (err 0)
>>>
>>> Using insmod directly shows this:
>>> insmod: ERROR: could not insert module pvrusb2.ko: Unknown symbol in
>>> module
>>>
>> Are you building the whole kernel or just the module? Sounds like
>> different config, environment, etc...
>
> Just the module.  I've been following the instructions here:
> https://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/BuildingKernelModules
> But I am building on the device itself (Banana Pi).  So I'm not doing
> any cross-compiling or anything.
>
> Could this be a problem with a different config, from the running
> kernel?  In the instructions it has be run "make oldconfig" which I
> thought was supposed to bring in the current config.  However it still
> prompts for a lot of kernel options (regarding chipsets, etc.) and I
> have tried to make a best guess at them.
If you copied the right .config, it shouldn't ask anything. Make
oldconfig just takes your current .config and asks for what is missing
(current as in copied to the root of your kernel build dir, not as in
"booted" version).
I have never done what you are doing, but I would do it this way:
1) rpmbuild -bp kernel.spec so original patches are applied.
2) copy current config from /boot to .config in your build environment
3) apply the patch you want
4) make oldconfig (should not ask a single question, since you didn't
activate anything)
5) continue with your usual steps.

HTH.
Pablo.