[Arm-dev] Kernel problems on APM X-Gene

Gordan Bobic gordan at redsleeve.org
Fri Jan 26 10:43:12 UTC 2018

On Fri, Jan 26, 2018 at 9:34 AM, Jeremiah Rothschild <jeremiah at franz.com>
wrote:

> On Sat, Nov 04, 2017 at 05:37:54PM +0000, Gordan Bobic wrote:
> > Apologies for taking so long to return to this thread, it took way longer
> > than expected to get to the machine and get it up and running again.
>
> Thanks for the update & apologies as well on my delayed follow-up.
>
> Last time I wrote the mailing list about my kernel problems, I was
> told (by jperrin at centos.org) that my system was not in a supported state
> because I was daisy-chaining Tianocore EFI via U-Boot. I was directed to
> flash the Tianocore firmware and remove U-Boot from the equation. Although
> was skeptical of this answer, I finally was able to do this.
>
> Unfortunately, however, this does not change behavior. I still cannot
> successfully boot into any kernels beyond 4.5 unless I use 'acpi=off'.
>
> I am, interestingly enough, able to run the 4.9.60 kernel that you
> supplied.
>
> So:
>
> (1) My experience leads me to believe that it is still a possibility that a
> kernel related bug exists.
>
> (2) I am confused as to why your kernel worked. I built
> kernel-alt-4.11.0-22.el7a from source and it fails like the others. Were
> there any special steps you took in building the rpm's you supplied me?

What config file did you use? It looks like looking at the config diff may
shed some light on what the difference might be.

> (3) Is it true that you are able to boot into the (> 4.5) distro-supplied
> kernels? Or have you only tried/succeeded with your custom builds?

Unfortunately I cannot confirm that. I haven't used distro supplied kernels
since the first week I got the motherboard due to the 64KB default page
size. I needed it to be able to run armv5tel and armv7hl docker containers.

Gordan