[Arm-dev] (no subject)

Mon Dec 7 14:28:21 UTC 2020
Pablo Sebastián Greco <pablo at fliagreco.com.ar>

On 6/12/20 18:39, Jascha Gerold via Arm-dev wrote:
> Hi everyone!
> I just joined the list. Total arm/rpi4 beginner here. Been using
> Fedora for a year on my personal computer (switched from Apple). Thats
> my background. My goal is to have my rpi4 run a webserver for my
> Django projects. I have been experimenting with Raspberry Pi OS,
> Fedora 33 and Centos 7/8 on the Raspberry. I would like to use a
> yum/dnf based distribution on the Pi, because I am a bit more familiar
> with its cli.
> I believe that the
> CentOS-Userland-7-armv7hl-RaspberryPI-Minimal-4-2009-sda.raw image
> would be the way to go.
> But frankly I am terrified by configuring all the different sources
> for the latest packages (sqlite3, django 3, and so on) and getting
> them to interact flawlessly without breaking the system.
> Fedora does not have a native rpi4 image. They are generic and boot
> differently that the CentOS one.
>
> Can I use the boot partition from
> CentOS-Userland-7-armv7hl-RaspberryPI-Minimal-4-2009-sda.raw combined
> with the Fedora Userland? Id have to disable kernel updates I guess
> and cross compile them myself (done that successfully yesterday).
>
> TLDR:
> My question is: How do I get the native rpi4 centos way to boot
> combined with fedora userland?
>
> Jay

Hello Jay, welcome!
Let me see if I can address your questions together. and a bit out of
order. If your idea is to use Fedora userland, then I'd use fedora
altogether, they don't have rpi4 specific builds, but they don't need it
either. Fedora uses always the latest mainline kernel, and it has "good
enough" support for what you're trying to do (basically headless). If
you were trying to do something with graphics, it would be a completely
different story.
If you decide to use CentOS, I'd not use the armv7hl image (32 bits) and
go straight to aarch64. There's no official image yet, but I've posted
one that is working really well
https://people.centos.org/pgreco/CentOS-Userland-8-stream-aarch64-RaspberryPI-Minimal-4/
, and this is where I keep the updated kernels
https://people.centos.org/pgreco/rpi_aarch64_el8/ (along with other
rpi-specific stuff)

HTH
Pablo.