[Arm-dev] (no subject)

Tue Dec 8 09:34:42 UTC 2020
Pablo Sebastián Greco <pablo at fliagreco.com.ar>

On 7/12/20 17:21, Jascha Gerold wrote:
> [...]
>>> Hi everyone!
>>> I just joined the list. Total arm/rpi4 beginner here. Been using
>>> Fedora for a year on my personal computer (switched from Apple). Thats
>>> my background. My goal is to have my rpi4 run a webserver for my
>>> Django projects. I have been experimenting with Raspberry Pi OS,
>>> Fedora 33 and Centos 7/8 on the Raspberry. I would like to use a
>>> yum/dnf based distribution on the Pi, because I am a bit more familiar
>>> with its cli.
>>> I believe that the
>>> CentOS-Userland-7-armv7hl-RaspberryPI-Minimal-4-2009-sda.raw image
>>> would be the way to go.
>>> But frankly I am terrified by configuring all the different sources
>>> for the latest packages (sqlite3, django 3, and so on) and getting
>>> them to interact flawlessly without breaking the system.
>>> Fedora does not have a native rpi4 image. They are generic and boot
>>> differently that the CentOS one.
>>>
>>> Can I use the boot partition from
>>> CentOS-Userland-7-armv7hl-RaspberryPI-Minimal-4-2009-sda.raw combined
>>> with the Fedora Userland? Id have to disable kernel updates I guess
>>> and cross compile them myself (done that successfully yesterday).
>>>
>>> TLDR:
>>> My question is: How do I get the native rpi4 centos way to boot
>>> combined with fedora userland?
>>>
>>> Jay
>>>
>> Hello Jay, welcome!
>> Let me see if I can address your questions together. and a bit out of
>> order. If your idea is to use Fedora userland, then I'd use fedora
>> altogether, they don't have rpi4 specific builds, but they don't need it
>> either. Fedora uses always the latest mainline kernel, and it has "good
>> enough" support for what you're trying to do (basically headless). If
>> you were trying to do something with graphics, it would be a completely
>> different story.
>> If you decide to use CentOS, I'd not use the armv7hl image (32 bits) and
>> go straight to aarch64. There's no official image yet, but I've posted
>> one that is working really well
>> https://people.centos.org/pgreco/CentOS-Userland-8-stream-aarch64-RaspberryPI-Minimal-4/
>> <https://people.centos.org/pgreco/CentOS-Userland-8-stream-aarch64-RaspberryPI-Minimal-4/>
>>
>> , and this is where I keep the updated kernels
>> https://people.centos.org/pgreco/rpi_aarch64_el8/
>> <https://people.centos.org/pgreco/rpi_aarch64_el8/> (along with other
>> rpi-specific stuff)
>>
>> HTH
>> Pablo.\
>
> Thank you for replying so promptly, Pablo! I actually tried to get
> Fedora to run from a USB attached  HDD, but my knowledge was not good
> enough. I can only get it to boot from sd card. Thats why I love the
> way CentOS boots with the rpi4 image: I just have to point root to
> sda3 instead of mmcblk0p3 in cmdline.txt (tried to use partuuid, which
> works for booting, but then the script rootfs-expand does not find its
Wrt Fedora boot, if usb works after you boot from the SD card, then I
guess I'd check 3 things, rpi-eeprom (needs to be rather new to support
booting from usb), rpi-firwmare (rpi-specific files in /boot, also need
to be rather new), and maybe, but less likely, driver missing in the
initramfs. Wrt cmdline.txt and UUID, I have no idea why that doesn't
work, I too change it to /dev/sda3)
> So today I tried the centos image you mentioned (8, stream, aarch64).
> It works just fine, however the cpu frequency stays at max. With the
> centos 7, armhfp image the cpu is allowed to throttle down. Is that a
> kernel or config thing? I have only tried compiling armhfp kernels
> from the raspberry github. I can try to compile a 64bit one if they
> have the correct sources and configs. Anything more than that exceeds
> my current abilities. Can you point me in a direction (like where to
> look for the cpu frequency issue)?
I guess something tuned is doing, or something missing in the
config.txt. The kernels are the ones from the rpi foundation's github,
but just rebuilt for CentOS with a few different options.
> Well thanks again for responding!!
> Jay

Pablo
P.S: try to always do reply to all, so all the answers end up in the
mailing list. Thanks