[Arm-dev] Future of CentOS 8 on armhfp?

Wed Nov 25 16:15:17 UTC 2020
Pablo Sebastián Greco <pablo at fliagreco.com.ar>

Hi

On 25/11/20 11:39, Paul Graham wrote:
> I have been using the CentOS 8 image on a few 32-bit ARM devices (Zynq
> 7000 and Raspberry Pi 4) for several months with a lot of success.
> For my use case, I have to create some custom kernels and bootloaders
> to support my custom hardware for Zynq, but I leverage the CentOS 8
> userland.
That's good to hear

> In any case, I was wondering what the plans were for CentOS 8 on
> armhfp and what kind of help you might need to help get CentOS 8 for
> armhfp as well supported as it is for CentOS 7?  I also use CentOS 7
> for some projects, but I would like to transition to CentOS 8 to
> leverage the longer potential support cycle and the newer packages and
> technologies.
When we released 8.1 for armhfp, the intention was to keep it in sync
with the main arches, but during the 8.2 timeframe we hit some really
nasty issues, which combined with lack of time, left c8/armhfp stalled.
Now we're in the process of releasing 8.3 and all the tools seem to be
working again, so we're playing catch-up (you can see the progress here
https://koji.armhfp-mbox.centos.org/koji/).
The idea is to have everything in sync ASAP, but without a hard
deadline, and then keep going the same way we do for 7, all at the same
time.
WRT helping, testing is always useful, and if you find issues (or
possible patches), and report them back, that helps a lot too.

> Lastly, what is the best way to report CentOS 8 on armhfp bugs?  Is it
> better to report that here or at https://bugs.centos.org ?
I don't remember if there's an armhfp specific section for c8, but yeah,
bugs.centos.org is a good place, or if it is something simpler, normally
I'm in #centos-arm
> Thanks for all of your hard work on CentOS for armhfp!
;)