[Centos-automotive-sig] Linux on vehicles vs Kubernetes on vehicles

Mon Mar 7 22:52:02 UTC 2022
Ali Ok <aliok at redhat.com>

Hi,

I recently read a number of articles about how to offload workloads onto
containers that run on vehicles. TheChief IO article here [0] summarizes
some of the things tried out there and these are the experiments I've read
in detail:

- Mercedes-Benz did a POC [1] where they run containers in a vehicle to run
relevant tasks. The focus here is on the development and CI/CD of these
software.

- Denso had a similar POC [2] [3]. They ran an entire Kubernetes cluster in
the vehicle. Again, the focus here is the development ease and CI/CD.
Development teams simply develop and distribute software just like a web
application. There's also mentions of used concepts like digital twins,
request queuing (in the vehicle when offline) and few other interesting
concepts.

How do these efforts align or relate with the automotive initiative?
What I understand from CentOS automotive SIG and the POCs I mentioned above
is that there are a lot of overlapping areas (being independent of the
underlying hardware, faster software distribution, etc.) done in different
levels (OS/Kube).

Context: I am a Knative (https://knative.dev) contributor at Red Hat. I was
thinking about experimenting with Knative Eventing on the far edge, or even
better, mentor a Google Summer of Code contributor this summer for that,
and later I found out about the experiments done with Kubernetes on
vehicles.

[0]
https://thechief.io/c/editorial/how-kubernetes-is-shaping-the-future-of-cars/
[1]