[CentOS-devel] SPARC build machines perhaps available soon

Sat Aug 27 23:08:16 UTC 2005
Peter Arremann <loony at loonybin.org>

On Saturday 27 August 2005 15:35, Lamar Owen wrote:
> By cannibalizing the 5500 and the two 3500's, and by going to the 4MB cache
> 400MHz CPU's, I can possibly do 24 CPU's in the 6500 (the Sun Enterprise
> EX500 CPU/RAM modules are all the same, the differences between models are
> number of slots and enclosure).  If the box of CPU's turns out to be mixed
> speed, I'd do 14 400MHz/8MB cache CPU's.

Probably won't work. The boards you have aren't compatible with the CPUs.
Boards come in 83/90 and 100 Mhz versions... If you get a board with 336Mhz
cpus, it will run at 83Mhz and the cpus have a clock multiplyer of 4...
Adding 400Mhz modules to it will not make a difference - the cpus will report
as 400Mhz but the clock speed will show as 336.

http://sunsolve.sun.com/handbook_pub/Systems/E6500/components.html#SystemBoard
The system handbook has the board part numbers so you can check your boards
before you do anything.

Peter.