[CentOS-devel] A patched kdepim package(for CentOS 4.2) for CJK user

Mon Oct 31 06:22:05 UTC 2005
dlion <dlion7000 at gmail.com>

Hi, all

  I have build a patched kdepim package for CJK user. More
specifically, Knode is patched to support locale-dependent groupname
encoding.

  CJK means Chinese, Japanese and Korean. They all need multi-byte
charset(MBCS).

  A RFC requires that all newsgroup groupnames are encoded in UTF-8.
Most newsreaders under UNIX are designed this way. But due to Microsoft
products' feature(or call it bug), locale-dependent groupname encoding
is the de facto standard in some CJK area.

  This package changes knode's behavior from UTF-8 to locale-dependent
encoding, and will be helpful to CJK users. Non-CJK users probably will
not need this package. And this package replaces the official kdepim
package. Therefore, I think this package should go to centosplus
directory.

  The knode patch is not written by me. I only build this kdepim
package. It is from a chinese Linux distribution called Magic Linux. You
can get the original patch from

http://www.magiclinux.org/dev/old-1.2/cd1/SRPMS/kdepim-3.3.2-1mgc.src.rpm

The original package is GPLed. So this patch is available under GPL.

  I, and some other users, have tested this patch, and it works.

  I hope this package can be merged into the CentOS
repository(centosplus directory).

  And, I do not have a stable and secure space to store this package, I
request a space(for example, a ftp account or a web space) at least
15M bytes large,  so I can upload the SRPM.