[CentOS-devel] Building a custom 2.6.9 kernel

William L. Thomson Jr. wlt at obsidian-studios.com
Fri Feb 3 23:05:50 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-02-03 at 17:55 -0500, Jim Perrin wrote:
> In the interest of sanity, I say we let this thread die. Until William
> is able to understand the flaws in the information he gives, or
> believe what several developers are telling him ( ie there's no way to
> build a kernel from a -devel package)

I already admitted that, and it has been brought up afterward 2 times
now but two different people.

> then there's little point in
> continuing this. I don't want to see the mailing list turn into the
> same noise that embodied the irc channel for nearly 2 hours.

Exaggeration. I was barely on irc for 10 minutes before silenced the
first time, and 5 or so minutes the second time. Over the course of say
30 minutes. 45 max? And no one else was talking on the channel atm.

>  The centosplus kernel is very clear proof that the x86_64 kernel can
> be rebuilt, and built with varying modules etc.

Fine, have you personally done that? I wanted to converse with someone
WHO HAS BUILT A x86_64 kernel running CentOS.

Still have yet to confirm from anyone in this thread or in IRC if they
have, and the steps. What I have been after the entire time I have no
gotten. It's been side track by biasness, the gentoo factor and stuff
that did not pertain to why I entered IRC or my question?

>  That it cannot be
> easily rebuilt on gentoo is something that doesn't concern me at all.

Forget Gentoo. Have you personally done it on CentOS? I am looking for
someone who has.

> It could be anything from autoFU version differences to nptl not being
> on the gentoo box to solar flares. It's not something I feel we need
> to support. End of discussion.

Well only thing I can say there is most stuff on Gentoo is much newer
than in CentOS, at least with regard to CentOS4. Granted it can be
anything, but I doubt it's as distro env dependent as you all seem to
make it.

Since I was able to build a i686 kernel that works perfectly with the
binary Adaptec driver for RH 2.6.9-11.EL. I am just trying to do it now
with a x86_64 kernel.

> Arguments of "but gentoo  $VALUE" will only be answered with a retort
> of "This ain't gentoo".

I know, and I am not asking stuff that has anything really do to with
Gentoo. I am trying to find out who has built a custom x86_64 kernel
using the CentOS sources.

The more I ask and less it get's answered seems like either those that
have do not want to respond. And/or those that are responding have not,
and have no clue about what could cause what problem.

--
Sincerely,
William L. Thomson Jr.