[CentOS-devel] RPMS and REPOS and REPO-Linkages

Karanbir Singh mail-lists at karan.org
Sun Nov 19 02:23:38 UTC 2006

Hi Greg,

Greg Swallow wrote:
> My only concern with php-5.1.6 in centosplus is that RHEL5-beta1 is
> currently using 5.1.4.  Sure it's just beta1 and it may change, but if
> it doesn't that will make for a slightly trickier upgrade for some
> people at some point in the future.  For example the RHWAS php rpm is
> newer than the RHEL5-beta1 rpm but has a lower version# (5.1.4-1 vs
> 5.1.4-8).  I am sure that is intentional so an upgrade to RHEL5 upgrades
> php.

There is a php-5.1.6 in el5b2...

also, the decision was made within CentOS to move to 5.1.6 over 5.1.4,
mainly due to the fact that the 5.1.4 we had access to has known
security issues. And I know lots of people have concerns about leaving
vulnerable packages out there. We did do some testing internally to
ensure the 5.1.6 published on dev. didnt break anything ( within reason ).

once/if rhwas is published, we will definitely look into sync'ing the
setup with what we can provide ( might mean an ugly (Epoc)++, but if its
required, then so be it ). For the time being, we need to make the best
decision, based on what we have available to and what the users of the
repo are already using. 5.1.6 seemed to be the best fit.

Hope this clears up the situation a bit.

- KB