[CentOS-devel] CentOS-4.4 yumconf [OT]

Fri Oct 13 12:10:03 UTC 2006
Phil Schaffner <Philip.R.Schaffner at nasa.gov>

Hay, Karanbir:

On Fri, 2006-10-13 at 08:40 +0100, Karanbir Singh wrote:
> Heya Phil,
>
> Phil Schaffner wrote:
> > Will come out of my "lurker" closet to chime in agreement with Claire.
> > I also don't get paid to develop CentOS, and don't have time to hang out
> > on IRC, but can give a bit back to the community by providing feedback,
> > bug reports, and occasional help on the users list.  [Although I find my
> > opinions are sometimes not shared by the developers, hay, that's what
> > community dialog is all about, and I tend to defer to their opinions and
> > avoid pointless debates and flame wars.  But I digress...]
>
> you know, I actually appreciate people who make noises when we do stuff
> that they do and dont agree with. Isnt that what open source is all
> about ? The ability to bring in lots of eyes on simple issues ? We all
> gain, all around.
>
> so please dont stop and/or hold back. Flame wars only happen when one
> side refuses to accept the others point of view.

Don't worry about that - just ask anybody who knows me off-line.  I'm
not the shrinking violet type.  :-)   When I decline to reply, it's
generally either a "religious" issue (e.g. an emacs vs. vi class of
debate) or because I see the point and can't disagree.

I also encourage anyone else to engage in serious dialog.

> I think everyone is
> entitled to an opinion, and besides a flamefest every now and then is
> also a good thing :)

More fun to read than to participate in IMHO, but they can be
entertaining if the content is original and not carried on to the point
of tedium.

Regards,
Phil