[CentOS-devel] Re: Using CentOS trademarks/artwork etc.

Karanbir Singh

mail-lists at karan.org
Wed Aug 8 08:56:33 UTC 2007

Hi,

Gerhart, Bjoern wrote:
> I work at Wincor Nixdorf, and we want to provide a distribution derived
> from CentOS as commercial product. Within the distribution we provide
> software for installing, configuring and operating our "Beetle" POS
> systems with regard to our customers' needs. The name of the
> distribution is "WNLPOS", which means "Wincor Nixdorf Linux for Point of
> Service".

Sounds good, are you patching the installer or providing scripts for doing this
work after the distro is already installed on the machine ?

> The question now is if we may mention CentOS in the derived distribution
> at all. This concerns for example the name of the grub menu entries, and
> the splash screens and wallpapers of Gnome and KDE. Are we allowed to
> write "WNLPOS - based on CentOS"? May we use the original logos
> (artwork), or is it allowed to modifiy them?

Over the course of the next few days, we will put together a definite policy on
such matters and publish them on the wiki.

btw, I hope Wincor Nixdorf is planning a huge donation to the project!

- KB