[CentOS-devel] Re: Using CentOS trademarks/artwork etc.

Johnny Hughes

johnny at centos.org
Wed Aug 8 09:44:48 UTC 2007

Karanbir Singh wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Gerhart, Bjoern wrote:
>> I work at Wincor Nixdorf, and we want to provide a distribution derived
>> from CentOS as commercial product. Within the distribution we provide
>> software for installing, configuring and operating our "Beetle" POS
>> systems with regard to our customers' needs. The name of the
>> distribution is "WNLPOS", which means "Wincor Nixdorf Linux for Point of
>> Service".
>
> Sounds good, are you patching the installer or providing scripts for
> doing this work after the distro is already installed on the machine ?

To carry this just a little further ... if the "Beetle" POS would run on
 CentOS-5 (the installer is much better able to handle added
repositories), then why build a distro at all.

You could distribute CentOS as is (or a Core version that we can define
for such things) and you could distribute your application as an
installable piece (in a separate directory/repository) on the DVD.

Then, you don't have to deal at all with OS updates and can make use of
the CentOS public infrastructure for the OS updates.  All you need to
manage and provide are the specific repositories for the application.

In this scenario, your users are installing CentOS as the OS and Beetle
POS as an application.  You can then use the CentOS logos as is.

If you keep CentOS as the OS, and make the application work with it as
an added repository it does this for you:

1. Keeps your support and work focused on the application.

2. Allows you to distribute fully functional ISOs for install if you
want to.

3. Allows your product to also be installable on upstream EL products
(as a stand alone repository) ... that way you can also have a repo file
  that can be used to add the product in those instances too.

>> The question now is if we may mention CentOS in the derived distribution
>> at all. This concerns for example the name of the grub menu entries, and
>> the splash screens and wallpapers of Gnome and KDE. Are we allowed to
>> write "WNLPOS - based on CentOS"? May we use the original logos
>> (artwork), or is it allowed to modifiy them?

In the scenario that I described above, you are using the CentOS logos
as it is the OS