[CentOS-devel] Re: New nx/freenx RPMS for CentOS-4 i386 in the Testing Repo

Mon Jan 1 15:54:14 UTC 2007

On Sat, 2006-12-09 at 10:52 -0600, Johnny Hughes wrote:
> On Sat, 2006-12-09 at 17:29 +0100, Kay Diederichs wrote:

<snip>

> > > manual installation of the i386 packages (freenx used to be a .noarch
> > > package which seems more appropriate, why did that change?) on x86_64
> > > worked well.

I did not answer that question before :) ... there is a c program that
needs to be compiled now (nxserver-helper) so there is more than just
bash scripts and the package is now arch dependent ... where as before
is was only text files, batch scripts, and docs.

<snip>

> > The error messages for xclock and xosview when using the new nx/freenx
> > packages are below, in case someone could look into this.
> >
> > I know this kind of message from old times when using 8-bit colormaps.
> > But e.g. "xwininfo" tells me
> >    Depth: 24
> >    Visual Class: TrueColor
> >
> > I'd also like to mention that this problem occur no matter if I use a
> > Linux or Windows NX client. So it seems that it's a server-only problem.
> > Going back to the old nx/freenx package fixes the colormap problems.
> >
> > kay at turn13:-cns/ms686% xclock
> > Warning: Color name "black" is not defined
> > kay at turn13:-cns/ms686% xosview
> > XWin::allocColor() : failed to alloc : seagreen
> > XWin::allocColor() : failed to alloc : orange
> > XWin::allocColor() : failed to alloc : red
> > XWin::allocColor() : failed to alloc : aquamarine
> > XWin::allocColor() : failed to alloc : seagreen
> > XWin::allocColor() : failed to alloc : yellow
> > XWin::allocColor() : failed to alloc : orange
> > XWin::allocColor() : failed to alloc : aquamarine
> > XWin::allocColor() : failed to alloc : seagreen
> > XWin::allocColor() : failed to alloc : yellow
> > XWin::allocColor() : failed to alloc : orange
> > XWin::allocColor() : failed to alloc : aquamarine
> > XWin::allocColor() : failed to alloc : seagreen
> > XWin::allocColor() : failed to alloc : yellow
> > XWin::allocColor() : failed to alloc : orange
> > XWin::allocColor() : failed to alloc : aquamarine
> > XWin::allocColor() : failed to alloc : seagreen
> > XWin::allocColor() : failed to alloc : yellow
> > XWin::allocColor() : failed to alloc : orange
> > XWin::allocColor() : failed to alloc : aquamarine
> > XWin::allocColor() : failed to alloc : seagreen
> > XWin::allocColor() : failed to alloc : orange
> > XWin::allocColor() : failed to alloc : red
> > XWin::allocColor() : failed to alloc : aquamarine
> > XWin::allocColor() : failed to alloc : seagreen
> > XWin::allocColor() : failed to alloc : aquamarine
> > XWin::allocColor() : failed to alloc : SkyBlue
> > XWin::allocColor() : failed to alloc : SlateBlue1
> > XWin::allocColor() : failed to alloc : aquamarine
> > XWin::allocColor() : failed to alloc : SkyBlue
> > XWin::allocColor() : failed to alloc : SlateBlue1
> > XWin::allocColor() : failed to alloc : aquamarine
> > XWin::allocColor() : failed to alloc : SkyBlue
> > XWin::allocColor() : failed to alloc : SlateBlue1
> > XWin::allocColor() : failed to alloc : aquamarine
> > XWin::allocColor() : failed to alloc : red
> > XWin::allocColor() : failed to alloc : aquamarine
> > XWin::allocColor() : failed to alloc : red
> > XWin::allocColor() : failed to alloc : aquamarine
> > XWin::allocColor() : failed to alloc : red
> > XWin::allocColor() : failed to alloc : aquamarine
> > XWin::allocColor() : failed to alloc : red
> > XWin::allocColor() : failed to alloc : aquamarine

<snip>

This is now corrected with the latest versions, which are available now:

freenx-0.5.0-12.el4.centos.i386.rpm
nx-2.1.0-4.el4.centos.i386.rpm

The NX and FreeNX RPMS in the testing Repository have been upgraded.
Here is what has changed:

NX:

1.  Incorporated the latest No Machine releases from this announcement:
http://www.nomachine.com/news-read.php?idnews=188

FreeNX:

1.  Upgraded to the latest SVN version (revision 282) to fix the
xosview / xclock issues that are noted before.

2.  Renamed (and modified) the former patch named fc5patch.diff to
CentOS-4-patch.diff

3.  Removed nxclient.diff as that functionality was rolled in already
with SVN revision 282.

4.  Added nxnode slave mode (and nxserver-helper).

I think this version is more stable than the last ... please test and
provide feedback so we can roll this out.

Thanks,
Johnny Hughes