[CentOS-devel] Re: New nx/freenx RPMS for CentOS-4 i386 in the Testing Repo

Wed Jan 3 11:19:16 UTC 2007
Kay Diederichs <kay.diederichs at uni-konstanz.de>

Johnny Hughes wrote:
> The NX and FreeNX RPMS in the testing Repository have been upgraded.
> Here is what has changed:
>
> NX:
>
> 1.  Incorporated the latest No Machine releases from this announcement:
> http://www.nomachine.com/news-read.php?idnews=188
>
> FreeNX:
>
> 1.  Upgraded to the latest SVN version (revision 282) to fix the
> xosview / xclock issues that are noted before.
>
> 2.  Renamed (and modified) the former patch named fc5patch.diff to
> CentOS-4-patch.diff
>
> 3.  Removed nxclient.diff as that functionality was rolled in already
> with SVN revision 282.
>
> 4.  Added nxnode slave mode (and nxserver-helper).
>
> I think this version is more stable than the last ... please test and
> provide feedback so we can roll this out.
>
> Thanks,
> Johnny Hughes

My feedback for the new packages:

a) nxsetup is overly smart because it requires --override even for --help

b) On the server I had to
1) nxsetup   --uninstall   --purge   --override
2) nxsetup --override
3) then accept the defaults
4) the resulting error messages
-------
Error: Invalid value
"APPLICATION_LIBRARY_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libX11.so.6.2:/usr/lib/libXext.so.6.4:/usr/lib/libXcomp.so.1:/usr/lib/libXcompext.so.1:/usr/lib/libXrender.so.1.2"
Error: Could not find 1.5.0 or 2.0.0 version string in nxagent. NX 1.5.0
or 2.0.0 backend is needed for this version of FreeNX.
-------
do not appear to be harmful because the server works ok.
I know this _should_ not be necessary but it _is_ necessary for me
because otherwise my client says "NX server disabled or not installed",
or something to that effect. I guess this may be a "local problem" of
some kind (i.e. me not understanding the "client key" business), and not
related to the new nx version or package.

c) the problems with the color maps are indeed fixed

d) a new problem (at least compared to nx-1.5.0-1.centos4.i386) is that
the session cannot be terminated or suspended by signalling the client
(on a CentOS-4 machine): clicking the "X" of the client's window or even
ALT-F4 does not result in a "xmessage" window where "suspend",
"terminate" or "cancel" can be chosen. Rather, I had to kill the nxssh
process.

Thanks,
Kay