[CentOS-devel] CentOS 5 build scripts

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Fri May 18 21:09:13 UTC 2007

Karanbir Singh wrote:

>> version.  Then instead of a million specialty distributions, you just
>> need repositories where all the parts are available.
>
> the anaconda docs, basic as they are, are trivial - and the process to
> recreate the distro tree ( which is not what the question originally
> was, the op only seems to want to know howto redo the isos ) - is very
> simple, you need to make 1 call to buildinstall - and that will give you
> the command line you need to run with.
>
> Les, I think your email was based more on what you dont know about the
> installer now, than anything else.

Actually it's based on a glance at www.distrowatch.com and a bit of
bitterness about having each of the ones I've tested unnecessarily break
things that work elsewhere.

> And yes, its possible _now_ to have repositories enabled at installtime,
> so you only really need a very small footprint of a distro really,
> everything else can come in install-time from various places, including
> the distro media itself hosting multiple repo's is trivial.

I wouldn't mind a two-step process where you install a tiny base, then
boot it and give it the list of repositories and packages.  The piece I
still think is missing is the way to export your current list of
packages and a community forum to hold the lists, descriptions and
specialized packages.  Someone who thinks they've built something useful
should be able to push a button to share it, letting other people
automatically duplicate it from existing supported packages instead of
having to roll a new install cd or vmware image each with new support
issues.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com