[CentOS-devel] slow Perl on CentOS 5

Karanbir Singh

mail-lists at karan.org
Sun Aug 31 17:54:26 UTC 2008

David Hrbáč wrote:
> if we have axiom, I believe it's still valid, that we are lim 100 pct
> binary compatible with upstream, patched perl package should be pushed
> out via centosplus.

Thats a good point. however, couple of things to consider here:

- were not pushing perl to everyone by putting it in fasttrack, people
need to opt into that repo manually.

- This is essentially a bugfix, with  low enough Release tag that the
next update from upstream will be > EVR

- There is strong indication from upstream that they will push a version
of perl into 5.2, either as an update or into fastrack; and this is
likely to happen soon.

- Putting these perl packages into centosplus also raises the issue of
how we would maintain perl in centosplus for the rest of the life of
centos4/5 ; And I dont really see enough reason to maintain perl there.

The other, very real, option is to say : lets leave them in the -Testing
repo and just create enough info at the right places ( bugzilla.r.c
bugs.c.o, blog posts etc ) - on how users might get the packages from
the Testing repo. My pref is still to push via fasttrack though, given
the nature of the other packages that are also in the Testing repo.