[CentOS-devel] Re: [CentOS] slow Perl on CentOS 5

Fri Aug 29 15:23:34 UTC 2008

Gavin Carr wrote:
> What are you thinking of here Karanbir? Using the current C5 perl package
> (so 5.8.8) but with the upstream fixes applied? Or backporting the FC8
> package? Or something more divergent from upstream (e.g. do we turn off
> ithreads)?

I was hoping someone else would come up with that plan and take
ownership of it :D However, what I intend to do today is backport the
fix's into the latest version of perl already released into CentOS-5 so
its available as an interim fix. I am sure something will come down the
line from upstream, and when it does we can replace our interim fix with
whatever does come down, when it comes down. Stay tuned.

> I assume we're not thinking of rebasing to 5.10, for instance?

not me no.

- KB