[CentOS-devel] New Horde version ... should we upgrade?

Tue Jul 15 10:53:00 UTC 2008
Jean-Marc LIGER <jean-marc.liger at siris.sorbonne.fr>

Johnny Hughes a écrit :
> There is a new version of the Horde framework and the other packages
> that go with it.  The new framework is 3.2.x and most of the other
> <name>-h3-<version> apps also go up a minor number.
>
> The problem with this upgrade is that there is a new database schema
> and it is a "lots of admin action required" upgrade to a new version.
> I can't really run the database upgrade SQL script during the upgrade
> process, so the user is left with a broken system after the upgrade.
>
> With enterprise linux distros, upgrades like this are to be avoided.

Yes that's really pityfull for end administrators.

> So the question is ... do we just leave Horde at latest 3.1.x level
> and use 3.2.X in CentOS-6?
>
> There is the possibility of a horde32 (and all the others apps also as
> required) and set that to conflict with "horde < 3.2" on C5, BUT that
> introduces it's own issues.
>
> My feeling is that we stick with the latest horde in the 3.1.x series
> in CentOS-4 and CentOS-5 (which is 3.1.8) and we wait until CentOS-6
> where we will introduce the 3.2.x series (and all the associated apps).

I you want to follow this way, provide Horde Webmail Groupware Edition
1.1.1, which is one bundle of all associed apps, seems better for me.