[CentOS-devel] yum and fastestmirror

Sun Jun 15 21:58:27 UTC 2008
Wojciech Pilorz <wpilorz at gmail.com>

On Thu, Jun 12, 2008 at 3:10 PM, Jason_Meers
<jason_meers at blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
> Alan Bartlett wrote:
>
> Third'eded   ;-)
>
> I would love to see fastestmirror (along with skip-broken) automatically
> included, however we should probably mention in the release notes that if
> you share kickstart files between upstream and CentOS (as I do), you will
> receive a warning box on screen during the automated installing you that the
> "yum-fastestmirror" is not a recognised package "would you like to skip it
> and continue, or cancel the installation?", which breaks the un-attended
> nature of an un-attended install.
>
> I still think it should be included, but mentioned in the release notes.
>
> Jason_Meers
yum-fastestmirror does not work behind some restrictive (oppresive?) firewall
configuration.
Also, at least some time ago, fastestmirror was very address-space hungry,
  and caused yum to die if ulimit on address-space or stack-spaceset
  set to anything below 1Gig or more (well, that was on fedora
  with a very long list of mirrors, and fastestmirror created
  a large number of thread, perhaps one for a mirror).

I would second that mentioning in release notes is needed.

Wojtek