[CentOS-devel] CentOS 5 ServerCD ?

Mon Nov 3 22:12:17 UTC 2008
Akemi Yagi <amyagi at gmail.com>

On Mon, Nov 3, 2008 at 1:56 PM, Karanbir Singh <mail-lists at karan.org> wrote:
> Akemi Yagi wrote:
>>
>> Scientific Linux is providing installable LiveCD/DVD (32-bit and
>> 64-bit) and mini_livecd (32-bit).  For example,
>>
>> https://www.scientificlinux.org/news/livecd-52
>>
>> Perhaps, instead of re-inventing the wheel, we can collaborate with SL
>> and create CentOS versions without pouring a huge amount of time and
>> efforts?  Just a thought...
>
> Asking the lazy question - but do you know what process they use for the
> livecd -> rw-storage transfer ?

Basically by copying stuff.  Here's an excerpt:

"Since your PC will most probably boot from the first hard disk
(/dev/hda), we will install the boot loader GRUB into the Master Boot
Record (MBR) of /dev/hda. To install the LiveCD run now

# livecd-install -swap=/dev/hdb1 -mbr=/dev/hda /dev/hdb2

The script livecd-install will format /dev/hdb2, copy all data from
the LiveCD to /dev/hdb2 including your changes that you or the system
have done since booting the LiveCD. Things that are Live System
specific will be removed and files that are need on a working
Scientific Linux installation will be generated. The directory /boot
will be populate with kernel, initrd, and the grub folder. The grub
configuration file grub.conf will be generated and grub will be
installed into the Master Boot Record (MBR) of /dev/hda. Device
/dev/hdb1 will be added as Swap partition to /etc/fstab. "

For full text, please see:

http://linux.web.psi.ch/livecd/install.html

Akemi