[CentOS-devel] Building latest kmods for latest kernel automatically

Tue Nov 18 21:55:37 UTC 2008
Fabian Arrotin <fabian.arrotin at arrfab.net>

Akemi Yagi wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 18, 2008 at 1:39 PM, Fabian Arrotin
> <fabian.arrotin at arrfab.net> wrote:
>> While i was talking with someone in #centos about drbd, we saw that there
>> was no kmod-drbd82 (nor kmod-drbd) package for the latest and current 5.2
>> kernel.
>> In fact the last one was for 2.6.18-92.1.10 ...
>
> Actually, the latest version is kmod-drbd-8.0.13-2 (and
> kmod-drbd82-8.2.6-2). It uses weak-updates, so...

So what ? ;-)
Simple example : i'm a new sysadmin and i've recently installed a clean
CentOS 5.2 on which i've directly made updates. So (at this time) i'm
running with kernel-2.6.18-92.1.18.
Two days after i'm interested in installing kmod-drbd82 and , surprise,
there is not kmod-drbd82-`uname -r` available in the centos extras repo ..
weak-updates is 'invoked' after each kernel update so that kmod
installed (and correctly located in the 'extras' directory) will be
linked for the newly installed kernel.
But that will not solve the problem for people only wanting to start
using a specific kmod with the latest kernel already installed .. or am
i missing the point ?

--
-
Fabian Arrotin <fabian.arrotin at arrfab.net>