[CentOS-devel] Building latest kmods for latest kernel automatically

Tue Nov 18 22:07:21 UTC 2008
Akemi Yagi <amyagi at gmail.com>

On Tue, Nov 18, 2008 at 1:55 PM, Fabian Arrotin
<fabian.arrotin at arrfab.net> wrote:
> Akemi Yagi wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, Nov 18, 2008 at 1:39 PM, Fabian Arrotin
>> <fabian.arrotin at arrfab.net> wrote:
>>>
>>> While i was talking with someone in #centos about drbd, we saw that there
>>> was no kmod-drbd82 (nor kmod-drbd) package for the latest and current 5.2
>>> kernel.
>>> In fact the last one was for 2.6.18-92.1.10 ...
>>
>> Actually, the latest version is kmod-drbd-8.0.13-2 (and
>> kmod-drbd82-8.2.6-2). It uses weak-updates, so...
>>

> So what ? ;-)
> Simple example : i'm a new sysadmin and i've recently installed a clean
> CentOS 5.2 on which i've directly made updates. So (at this time) i'm
> running with kernel-2.6.18-92.1.18.
> Two days after i'm interested in installing kmod-drbd82 and , surprise,
> there is not kmod-drbd82-`uname -r` available in the centos extras repo ..
> weak-updates is 'invoked' after each kernel update so that kmod installed
> (and correctly located in the 'extras' directory) will be linked for the
> newly installed kernel.
> But that will not solve the problem for people only wanting to start using a
> specific kmod with the latest kernel already installed .. or am i missing
> the point ?

Weak-updates, when invoked, will look for *all* kABI compatible
kernels on a given system and create a symlink for each one of them.
(is my understanding)

Akemi