[CentOS-devel] CentOS Release Timeline (Graphical Display)

Wed Oct 8 22:46:17 UTC 2008
Dag Wieers <dag at centos.org>

On Wed, 8 Oct 2008, Alain Reguera Delgado wrote:

> Following Dag's idea (May I Dag ?) of create a CentOS timeline
> graphical table ... here is a variation of it made last month. Maybe
> it could be used on
> http://wiki.centos.org/FAQ/General#head-fe8a0be91ee3e7dea812e8694491e1dde5b75e6d
> as ilustration.
>
> It is a svg file with markers that could be included into our Artwork
> Building Environment to have it on different languages. Actually the
> "You are here" pointer is modified manually. Some way to automate this
> would be cool (IMO).
>
> See:
>
> http://wiki.centos.org/AlainRegueraDelgado?action=AttachFile&do=get&target=en-centos-lifecycle.png
> http://wiki.centos.org/AlainRegueraDelgado?action=AttachFile&do=get&target=es-centos-lifecycle.png
>
> What do you think ?

It definitely looks better.

But is it easy to update ? Over the course of a year I had to change it a
few times. Usually to update it before a new presentation. Adding update
releases, shifting support times.

Also, it is missing the update releases, which is an important item in
comparison to Ubuntu LTS or SLES wrt. hardware support and new media.

BTW The RHEL6 release will not be before the second quarter of 2009,
possibly after Fedora 11. So as you can see that major releases have
been shifting from 1.5 years to 2 year and now past 2 years.

At that pace 7 years may no longer constitute 4 releases. Unless Red Hat
will at some point in time push the support time to 8 years or more. In
itself not unthinkable if the company keeps growing.

I'd be interested to look at the SVG to see how we could improve it
further and whether it is mergable in OpenOffice (SVG support is flaky at
best).