[CentOS-devel] CentOS Release Timeline (Graphical Display)

Thu Oct 9 13:52:11 UTC 2008
Alain Reguera Delgado <alain.reguera at gmail.com>

On 10/8/08, Dag Wieers <dag at centos.org> wrote:
> On Wed, 8 Oct 2008, Alain Reguera Delgado wrote:
>> http://wiki.centos.org/AlainRegueraDelgado?action=AttachFile&do=get&target=en-centos-lifecycle.png
>> http://wiki.centos.org/AlainRegueraDelgado?action=AttachFile&do=get&target=es-centos-lifecycle.png
>>
>> What do you think ?
>
> It definitely looks better.
>
> But is it easy to update ? Over the course of a year I had to change it a
> few times. Usually to update it before a new presentation. Adding update
> releases, shifting support times.

Well ... each update needs a svg file modification and to update the
related translation files. After that you'd have the image in as many
languages as translation files exist.

> Also, it is missing the update releases, which is an important item in
> comparison to Ubuntu LTS or SLES wrt. hardware support and new media.

Yep, where are those dates ? I would like to add them.

> BTW The RHEL6 release will not be before the second quarter of 2009,
> possibly after Fedora 11. So as you can see that major releases have
> been shifting from 1.5 years to 2 year and now past 2 years.
>
> At that pace 7 years may no longer constitute 4 releases. Unless Red Hat
> will at some point in time push the support time to 8 years or more. In
> itself not unthinkable if the company keeps growing.

Guys, could you provide a table with CentOS Relsease/Update dates.
Those that you would like to see in the graphical display ?

> I'd be interested to look at the SVG to see how we could improve it
> further and whether it is mergable in OpenOffice (SVG support is flaky at
> best).

Absolutely. It would be released in
https://projects.centos.org/svn/artwork/trunk/Main/svg/templates/ very
soon.