[CentOS-devel] Talk about existing forums

M. Milanuk

memilanuk at gmail.com
Thu Dec 17 05:09:22 UTC 2009

FWIW, you can do some pretty sophisticated 'mining' of information using
MarkMail.org... the main CentOS list is archived there, as is this devel
list.  I know the lists are archived several places (such as Gmane) but
MarkMail is pretty good for drilling down when searching - not so good
for just browsing.  I first came across it when looking for some
information related to the R-project.  Here are a couple examples:

A search for 'dnsmasq' on the main CentOS list:

http://markmail.org/search/?q=dnsmasq+list%3Aorg.centos.centos

And a listing of all the CentOS mailing lists.

http://markmail.org/search/?q=+list%3Aorg.centos

They provide the code for a small form to embed in an existing site so
users can enter their search string, hit 'Go', and it takes them to the
MarkMail page where they can waller around in all the mailing list
goodness they want ;)

As far as integration into the forums... it looks like there is a
'mail2forum' project... but it is current only for phpBB2, not phpBB3.
Eventually (as with most open-source projects) it should get caught
up... at that point it looks like it should be possible to bridge the
gap between the lists and the forums.  Until then, I don't think
neglecting the forums in favor of the mailing lists (or vice versa)
would be prudent.

HTH,

Monte