[CentOS-devel] freeradius-2.1.3 spec

Mon Mar 30 13:22:09 UTC 2009
Jeff Johnson <n3npq at mac.com>

On Mar 30, 2009, at 9:05 AM, Niels de Vos wrote:

>> That isn't true for FC4 either. Its been almost a decade
>> since requires and prereq are handled identically.
>
> I'm not convinced on this point :-/ Pretty sure there is a difference
> when installing only two RPMs with changed Requires/PreReq. However
> I checked with rpm, not yum?! (yes, without loops)

So shop a different answer if you wish. I'm just the guy
who wrote the code in RPM and who tries to explain how to fix
packaging problems. If you don't like or believe my answers, by all
means, shop elsewhere.

> [this might get too much off-topic - we can leave it open like this]

>>> Well, this mail wasn't about a loop. It's about ordering of packages
>>> where <package>-libs depends on a %pre-scriptlet of <package>.
>>>

>> If there is *ANY* effect on ordering by switching to PreReq:,
>> its *ALL* about a loop.
>>
>>> Can you tell us the correct solutions for this problem?
>>>

>> Not without verifying first that no loops are involved.
>>
>> Add -vv to an install or upgrade, confirm that there are no loops
>> involved
>> (you will see LOOP: ... messages)
>>
>> Otherwise, adding an additional dependency (use Requires: or
>> PreReq: to
>> taste, they are synonyms) will change package install (but not erase,
>> that's a different problem) ordering.
>
> Ok. Thanks for explaining :)

Hint: there is almost certainly a dependency loop
because you are trying to use an executable in a
%pre script in the *-libs package that has not yet
been installed.

So the library package needs to be installed before
the executable you are trying to use in a %pre script.

That basically means that you cannot do what you are
attempting in the *-libs %pre script.

Which then turns the question into
	How do I do <mumble> if I can't use a %pre script
	in a *-libs package?

hth

73 de Jeff