[CentOS-devel] [PHP 5.2.6] Feedback / Centos Testing and CentOS Extras

Karanbir Singh mail-lists at karan.org
Wed May 6 12:49:20 UTC 2009

Michael Simpson wrote:
> We have been running 5.2.6 from testing for about a month on both
> production and dev web servers. everything has been fine apart from
> phpmyadmin complaining about the lack of php-mcrypt.

There is the other thing about the c5-testing packages needing an
update, I'll look into that shortly.

> I would really like to see this updated and moved from testing into
> extras or plus. Further to this end, if there is anything that i can
> do please let me know.

There will be plenty to help out with. I've been investigating the idea
of sub-rep's and how we might handle that in the buildsystem. Give me a
few days and I should have a proposal that we can all consider. The end
aim being : <php/web interest group> should be able to request and build
pkgs into a subrepo that others can opt in or out from. It would need to
be subrepo's with direct conflict situation between them in this case
since there are atleast 3 clear php routes so far:

- distro php
- rhwas php
- php.net php

people need to have :
a) easy way to stick to one tree
b) relative easy way to switch from one to the other

and hopefully never need multiple php's on the same machine.