[CentOS-devel] RPM Contribution

Dag Wieers

dag at centos.org
Tue May 12 21:51:14 UTC 2009

On Mon, 11 May 2009, David Dreggors wrote:

> Dag Wieers wrote:
>
>> Besides as far as I have tested, the madwifi solution (for newer
>> Atheros hardware) replaces some of the other wireless infrastructure and
>> thus breaks other wireless drivers and is impossible to package properly
>> for RHEL/CentOS.
>
> Was unaware of that, can you give examples of the libraries/modules that
> get overwritten (for rollback/restore purposes)?

The problem is not that they may or may not get overwritten, the problem
is that if you have a set of modules that use the original mac80211 and
cfg80211 kernel modules, and the new madwifi that use modified (newer?)
mac80211 and cfg80211 modules, depending on which mac80211 and cfg80211
modules you have loaded, only one set of wireless drivers may  work.

> I have not seen any issues yet that I am aware of but once we get a fix
> for kmod-ath5k and I go back to that driver... I might?

You may not if you only have one wireless chipset that you use. People
using a USB wireless stick because they have problems with their atheros,
might not get the original drivers to work because of the above mess that
was created.