[CentOS-devel] [CentOS-qa] 5.4 - i386 isos and tree

Patrice Guay

patrice.guay at nanotechnologies.qc.ca
Tue Oct 13 19:35:45 UTC 2009

Douglas McClendon wrote:
> Patrice Guay wrote:
>> Phil Schaffner wrote:
>>> What help do you need on
>>> getting persistence working, or on LiveCD development in general?
>>>
>> For the persistence feature, I am looking for a set of patches that
>> apply for the current livecd-tools package. I am currently comparing
>> livecd-tools 015 and 014. Since the persistence feature was added in the
>> 015 version, I will try to extract the required patches from the
>> differences between both versions. Any help on this front would be
>> appreciated.
>
> I'm here, and the author of the relevant feature.  Though I won't be
> online much in the next 24 hours, but after that I'm sure I can get you
> going.

Your help would be appreciated.

> Also, if I could convince you to squeeze in another ~100kb package into
> the LiveCD, it would allow an experimental 'rebootless installation' in
> addition to the traditional and stable rebootful kind provided by anaconda.

The current CentOS LiveCD doesn't support installation from the live
media. This feature requires a newer version of the anaconda package
than the one provided by the CentOS 5 official tree (liveinst binary).
Since CentOS is supporting its packages for 7 years, introducing a new
version of a critial package such as anaconda and providing support for
it would be unrealistic.

However, I tested and documented the installation from a live media:
https://projects.centos.org/trac/livecd/wiki/InstallToHardDrive

Maybe this feature could be added to the 'unsupported' branch of the
CentOS LiveCD project.

--
Patrice