[CentOS-devel] Package backports - 5.4 kernel

Ron Yorston rmy at tigress.co.uk
Wed Sep 16 09:04:05 UTC 2009

Scott Silva wrote:
>on 9-15-2009 1:00 PM Jason Parker spake the following:
>> According to upstream release notes, there were API/ABI changes with OFED stuff.
>>  If userspace is not updated accordingly, it is very likely that there will be
>> breakage.
>>
>> There were several other things in the upstream release notes that I don't see
>> mentioned anywhere with this kernel release (examples: ext4dev, bonding+ipv6).
>> Are there plans to do this?  As the release is already syncing to mirrors, I
>> suspect the answer is "no".
>>
>> I can't agree with this new policy, and I hope these comments demonstrate why.
>Upstream and CentOS always recommend that all packages get updated, not just
>the kernel.

I'm confused.  Normally there's a period before a CentOS point release
when there are no updates to the old release.  Today I see that CentOS 5.3
updates repository includes kernel 2.6.18-164 and some other new packages.

Is there a new policy of backporting updates?  I don't recall seeing an
announcement to that effect.

Ron