[CentOS-devel] Fasttrack for C-5

Fri Dec 3 14:21:42 UTC 2010
Jeff Johnson <n3npq at mac.com>

On Dec 3, 2010, at 9:11 AM, Karanbir Singh wrote:

> I was fairly confident we could extract and build this from the
> changelog's of released packages, but thats not going to happen since
> they are not very consistend and dont even go back to the earlier
> releases. eg in 5.[0123] quite a few pkgs dont carry this metadata at all.
>
> So, short of someone finding a way to get this info; sitting down and
> typing it all up, it looks hard to get going.

The way to get the info is to use the package VCS check-ins, not
%changelog from *.spec or --queryformat. There are too many issues
with encoding and "bloat removal" filtering for package/spec
extraction to be anything other than a chore.

> With C6 however, all pkgs so far seem to have this metadata in the
> changelog's. So its looking a lot better.

What really should be done is rip _ALL_ of %changelog
everywhere and just set up a browser onto git/svn package
repositories hosted on a server where it might be useful for
many users and tools. But that's likely a minority
heretical contrarian opinion of mine alone.

hth

73 de Jeff