[CentOS-devel] Why are Spacewalk packages removed from CentOS?

Miroslav Suchý

msuchy at redhat.com
Thu Jan 21 14:02:56 UTC 2010

Karanbir Singh wrote:
> Secondly, what is the release timeline for these client tools into RHEL
> 4/5 compared with whats in the spacewalk client tools repo at the moment

Spacewalk is released every 2-3 months.
Minor release of RHEL has been released aprox. every 8 months.

> ? are they mostly in sync ? I could go and just look, but I expect you
> guys to have a better idea on the state of things.
They are compatible. I.e you can use both to Spacewalk and it will work.
But spacewalk client usually contains some features which rhel client do
not have.

> Justin Sherrill had started working down the road of making a 'snapshot'
> of the spacewalk client tools repo, updating that to sync with the
> release schedules of CentOS-4.X and 5.X; Is that still an option ?
Making another repo is IMO not option, if you have to add it, than you
can add Spacewalk client repo directly.

> I dont deny the fact that adding these packages in would make things
> easier for people who use spacewalk, but lets not do that if it makes
> things a bit harder or obscure for people who dont use spacewalk. So
> lets talk about it and see how we can make and keep both sides happy.

How can these packages make life "harder or obscure" for people who dont
use spacewalk? Especially if these packages will not talk to
rhn.redhat.com by default.

--
Miroslav Suchy
Red Hat Satellite Engineering