[CentOS-devel] minimal install CentOS-6 media

Manuel Wolfshant wolfy at nobugconsulting.ro
Mon Nov 29 12:41:15 UTC 2010

  On 11/29/2010 02:30 PM, Karanbir Singh wrote:
> hi,
>
> so in order to quantify exactly what should be on the minimal install set :
>
> - support install from optical media
> - support install from usb disk
>
> - install as native platform
> + install to Xen domU
> + install to kvm VM
>
> - Functional on post-install
> + firstboot ( for hooks etc that people put in )
> + yum with the standard centos repos
> + sshd
> + selinux
> + functional dhcp client
> + functional ipv6 stack + ipv4 stack
> + iptables and ip6tables

https://nazar.karan.org/cgit/bluecain/tree/ks-minimalC5-64.cfg is my
idea of a minimal install. It lacks xen/kvm support however which
probably should be in.

> Questions;
>
> * What else should added in ?
if we go with "minimal", that would be a reasonable list. if we go with
"server", I'd add mysql, apache, postfix + basic php . maybe even
dovecot + php-imap.
> * Should we remove some more excess ?
>
> * what is the thinking on lsb state for this media ?
/me never really cared about lsb* packages

> * Finally, I am conflicted on the idea of dropping the gui installer
> completely. On one hand, we could claw back serious disk space - on the
> other hand, it drastically changes the install experience. Tbh, the
> install experience is a bigger deal. But worth pointing out.
Please don't. The installer is the first major experience and even real
professionals do not need/use it, the rest of the universe uses it as a
first factor for decision.