[CentOS-devel] minimal install CentOS-6 media

Tim Verhoeven tim.verhoeven.be at gmail.com
Mon Nov 29 12:47:20 UTC 2010

On Mon, Nov 29, 2010 at 1:30 PM, Karanbir Singh <mail-lists at karan.org> wrote:

> so in order to quantify exactly what should be on the minimal install set :
>
> - support install from optical media
> - support install from usb disk
>
> - install as native platform
> + install to Xen domU
> + install to kvm VM
>
> - Functional on post-install
> + firstboot ( for hooks etc that people put in )
> + yum with the standard centos repos
> + sshd
> + selinux
> + functional dhcp client
> + functional ipv6 stack + ipv4 stack
> + iptables and ip6tables

A list from my kickstarts :

+ ntp
+ wget and/or links
+ rsync
+ telnet (as a test tool)

> Questions;
>
> * What else should added in ?
>
> * Should we remove some more excess ?
>
> * what is the thinking on lsb state for this media ?
>
> * Finally, I am conflicted on the idea of dropping the gui installer
> completely. On one hand, we could claw back serious disk space - on the
> other hand, it drastically changes the install experience. Tbh, the
> install experience is a bigger deal. But worth pointing out.

And the problem that the text interfance does not support LVM (at
least in 5, I don't know if they added that in 6) and there are
problably other features that are only in the GUI interface.

Regards,
Tim

--
Tim Verhoeven - tim.verhoeven.be at gmail.com - 0479 / 88 11 83

Hoping the problem  magically goes away  by ignoring it is the
(Linus Torvalds)