[CentOS-devel] Updated docs on http://www.centos.org/docs

Fabian Arrotin fabian.arrotin at arrfab.net
Wed Oct 13 08:34:34 UTC 2010

Karanbir Singh wrote:
> On 10/04/2010 05:29 AM, Fabian Arrotin wrote:
>> What does need to be done to include newer doc on www.centos.org/docs,
>> that is in-line with the docs available upstream ?
>
> Download the docs from their site, look at the license and workout
> licensing implications - afaict, they have actually made it easier than
> it used to be. Reformat so that all urls point internally, check and
> ensure all the images that need to be retained are retained, the rest
> discarded / replaced with the relevant stuff.
>
>> For example , i see that Johnny just removed a s"hadow man logo" in the
>> header and a "red hat documentation" link+icon
>> He also added a kind of 'disclaimer' in the footer.
>> Is there something else to be done ? If i consider the 5.5 technical
>> notes that are on the centos docs server, i still see a "shadow man"
>> logo on the first page ...
>
> Dont go by what was done in the past, the licensing for the docs has
> changed since then ( at upstream ).
>
> Tru recently did some docs setup, it might be worth syncing up with him
> for more info on the specifics.
>
> - KB

It seems that all Upstream documentations are now released under a
Creative Commons Attribution–Share Alike 3.0 Unported license
("CC-BY-SA"). When I read a Red Had doc, for example the Deployment
Guide
(http://docs.redhat.com/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/5/html/Deployment_Guide/index.html),
they ask "if you distribute this document or an adaptation of it, you
must provide the URL for the original version."
By looking at the CC-BY-SA license, it seems that we would be allowed to
"share" the doc.
So my question is : if Red Hat asks only to 'provide the URL for the
original version' , why not just putting links on the
http://www.centos.org/docs page that point back to the corresponding doc
on docs.redhat.com ?
My proposal is so just to have a link (to the html and pdf format) and
saying in the link name that it's the original Red Hat documentation
(that applies to CentOS) and have other (internal) links for our own
CentOS doc, for example the Release Notes like
http://wiki.centos.org/Manuals/ReleaseNotes/CentOS5.5 .

Talking about the CentOS Release Notes, I even see that 5.4 and the
mentioned above 5.5 RN aren't even linked on our www.centos.org/docs/5
page ... :-(
Can someone at least fix that ASAP ?

Other ideas about the link to the Red Hat website are welcome too :-)

Fabian Arrotin