[CentOS-devel] HyperV Linux Integration Services added to Centos?Plus?

Ned Slider

ned at unixmail.co.uk
Tue Aug 23 19:03:26 UTC 2011

On 23/08/11 13:59, Jim Perrin wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 22, 2011 at 10:14 PM, Peter J. Pouliot<peter at pouliot.net>wrote:
>>>
>>>     What license are these drivers covered under?
>> GPL v2.
>>
>> The drivers are currently in staging on the mainline kernel.   My goal,
>> note I am not speaking for the company of I work for (SUSE), or the company
>> who pays for the room I sit in (MSFT), is to help get the work our team has
>> done for the last five years integrated into all linux distributions.
>>

> So long as they are GPLv2, and your company/code copyright holder is willing
> to provide something showing there's no danger of lawsuit/DMCA infringement
> for distribution I see no issues with providing them.

The driver source is already included in the RHEL6 kernel, in
drivers/staging/hv but because it's still in staging Red Hat chose not
to enable it by default.

We built the drivers from the RHEL6 code but they seem badly broken:

http://elrepo.org/bugs/view.php?id=165

There were a large number of patches submitted for inclusion in
kernel-3.0 (still in staging) but backporting this code to RHEL6 is not
trivial.

As it's not enabled by default, I would guess the chances of Red Hat
backporting fixes to RHEL6 are less than zero, regardless of the politics.

To start with I guess we would need working code that builds on RHEL6 :-)