[CentOS-devel] Ja oder nein: is cygwin-setup process a viable alternative to present day builds?

Larry Vaden vaden at texoma.net
Sat Feb 19 04:08:04 UTC 2011

On Fri, Feb 18, 2011 at 9:51 PM, Nico Kadel-Garcia <nkadel at gmail.com> wrote:

> I've repeatedly seen this sort of "I can do it better myself, just the
> way I think it should work!" with system auditing tools, source
> control systems, and software building structures. It's usually far,
> far more efficient to learn the existing structure well and build on
> it than to start from scratch: a lot of hardwon lessons are very
> expensive to relearn.

And, since I've been around since the ASR 33 days of paper tape when
you had to really think straight and maintain good relations with the
operators in order to get 7 compiles a day, I wonder why we still
spend time waiting on files to be compressed and to be decompressed
when you can't fill up a modern day disk drive with a project's code,
much less an array of said drives most modern build systems would
have.