[CentOS-devel] Ja oder nein: is cygwin-setup process a viable alternative to present day builds?

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Sat Feb 19 04:20:00 UTC 2011

On Fri, Feb 18, 2011 at 21:08, Larry Vaden <vaden at texoma.net> wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 18, 2011 at 9:51 PM, Nico Kadel-Garcia <nkadel at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I've repeatedly seen this sort of "I can do it better myself, just the
>> way I think it should work!" with system auditing tools, source
>> control systems, and software building structures. It's usually far,
>> far more efficient to learn the existing structure well and build on
>> it than to start from scratch: a lot of hardwon lessons are very
>> expensive to relearn.
>
> And, since I've been around since the ASR 33 days of paper tape when
> you had to really think straight and maintain good relations with the
> operators in order to get 7 compiles a day, I wonder why we still
> spend time waiting on files to be compressed and to be decompressed
> when you can't fill up a modern day disk drive with a project's code,
> much less an array of said drives most modern build systems would
> have.

Because while disk is cheap, a station wagon full of disks is still
cheaper than trying to send over the multiple gigabytes of data over
WAN or even most company LAN lines. With various ISPs looking at
capping downloads at 1GB/month and extra costs for every GB above
that.. it would take someone on that line 6 months to download a basic
system without compression. Now if we all could be satisfied running
on the same amount of code we did back in the good old days of toggle
switches and punch tapes/cards.

--
Stephen J Smoogen.
battle." -- Ian MacLaren