[CentOS-devel] CentOS-4.9 SRPMS

Johnny Hughes johnny at centos.org
Wed Feb 23 11:39:00 UTC 2011

On 02/22/2011 07:23 PM, Leonard den Ottolander wrote:
> Hi Greg,
>
> On Sat, 2011-02-19 at 09:23 -0700, Greg Bailey wrote:
>> OK, this morning's programming project is a python script to
>> automatically generate your list.  I get:
>
> I hadn't spotted that you already solved this in python. With some shell
> scripting I come to essentially the same result. (My hit on zsh is a
> last iteration bug :)
>
> I have one addition: comps-4WS-0.20110202. Not sure what to make of
> anaconda-product-4-2WS.
>
>> initscripts-7.93.35-1.el4_8.src.rpm
>> kdelibs-3.3.1-17.el4_8.1.src.rpm
>> pidgin-2.6.6-5.el4_8.src.rpm
>> seamonkey-1.0.9-66.el4_8.src.rpm
>> squirrelmail-1.4.8-5.el4_8.8.src.rpm
>
> I think these are false positives.
>
>> indexhtml-4.1-1.src.rpm
>
> Rather distro dependent but it might need updating as well.
>
> Everything else on our lists matches afaict.
>
> Regards,
> Leonard.

Thanks guys.

The comps files are created at distro spin and will not be updated as we
will not be re-spinning the distro or ISOs.  comps is also used in a
different way by RHN, which is why upstream rebuilt it.

The anaconda product RPM is also not one that we need to do as upstream
has WS, ES, AS, etc versions that they charge different $$$ amount for.
 All of the others are subsets of AS, which is what our SRPM
anaconda-product-4.0-2.centos4.src.rpm is based on.  That contains all
upstream el4 packages.

You guys are also correct that the .dist tag (.el4, .el4_x, etc.) is not
necessarily critical.  Sometimes within a release of a product, upstream
will work on a new version of a package that will be part of the next
"point release" and also will issue fixes to the package before the
point release by using a different dist tag.  So,
abc-1.0.0-1.el4.i386.src.rpm will get an update to
abc-1.0.0-2.el4.i386.src.rpm for a 4.9 release (as an example).  If,
while they are testing abc-1.0.0-2, they need to release a bug fix to
abc-1.0.0-1 then they will change the dist tag to el4_8 and add a .1
after the tag.  So it would become abc-1.0.0-1.el4_8.1.src.rpm ... this
is because they already have a 1.0.0-2 somewhere in the release system.
 We try to be consistent with the dist tags, but sometimes they slip
through with a different version.  This in no way impacts the code or
the binary compatibility of the RPM.

As far as the rest of the SRPMS are concerned, I need to look at both
those lists one by one, but most (if not all) of those SRPMS are from
arches other than i386 and x86_64, so will not be on my list of packages
to build.  I will post info about each one separately in another mail.

Thanks for taking the time to help me verify the 4.9 release.